The use of Chromebooks in the classroom and the benefits to children are endless. It is best practice for any digital learning environment. Computer literacy is at the forefront of all pupils’ learning digital learning plan. Chromebooks Keep Students Engaged because they are technology natives; however, these tools help them to navigate the collaborative process in a way that breeds professionalism, creativity, and relationships
For the Student:
- The collaborative model is one that is promoted in a multitude of environments in addition to the classroom. An employee can take part in a company project with others who are located in various parts of the world as a result of Chromebooks or Google applications.
- When a student uses the Chromebook in the classroom, he/she is able to collaborate with a classmate who sits in his class or one who is located in china. This strategy helps to keep students engaged. Students can Docs to work on the same activity at the same time with a classmate. Even though they may not be in the same space, students can work on a task collaboratively from anywhere.
- The use of Chromebooks can improve the writing process. As they work, students can receive ongoing and simultaneous feedback and encouragement from the teacher(s).
- The use of Google applications such as Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc., will allow revision history to hold students accountable for their work and allow the teacher to check for understanding instantaneously while they continue to work without interruption.
- A student who uses a Chromebook also becomes more comfortable in the use of Google applications such as Google Drive, Google Docs and other applications/extensions.
- A Chromebook allows the student to seek resources that go far beyond the four walls of his/her classroom.
- In addition, students have opportunities to also create and provide resources globally by creating web access to their creations and ideas i.e., vlogger, blogger, online journalist, researcher, web designer, game developer, etc.
- Chromebooks help with career preparation. Studies show that there is a great demand for people who display high competence in technological skills. Employers’ searches for computer engineers, system administrators, technology coordinators, data scientists, and other STEM (Science, Technology, Education and Mathematics) professions continue to rise.
- Chromebooks Help Close the Achievement Gap. For students who cannot afford the technology in the home, they are provided the access to the tool and applications in school that can be accessed in public libraries or any other device accessible to the student outside the school. Exposure to applications and Chromebooks ensure equality and equity among students regardless of background.
- Students learn in a safe and controlled environment
- The students Create Cartoon Animations with the use of GoAnimate application.
- Students can learn a new way to organize their thoughts or use a graphic organizer by using the app MindMeister
In Mathematics, students can use GeoGebra or Desmo to plot their graphs in Geometry or algebra.
For the Teacher:
- The teacher can create and show students to create amazing presentation
- The teacher can monitor students’ progress and demonstration of learning (DOL)
- Students can use Google Sheets to analyze student’s progress (i.e., grades and assessment scores)
- The teacher can create a classroom website through Google Classroom
- The teacher can create and manage students’ e-portfolios that can follow them from year to year.
- The teacher can use the Google Classroom to create YouTube educational channels that allow students to share their knowledge with others in a safe, yet purposeful way.
- Teachers can also create a YouTube channel to provide lessons to any student.
- The teacher can differentiate lessons to the individual student that address their learning style without displaying the differences to the rest of the class.
- The teacher can run their lessons through a blogger or Glogger (a graphical blog that is interactive) that allows students to contribute to a topic in a lesson via a response to a blog. This can be used as an exit ticket or DOL.
- The teacher is able to invite Guest speakers that can be seen via their individual Chromebook as well as the interactive board.
- The teacher can administer teacher-made assessments with the Google App. Kahoot and score quickly for immediate feedback via Google Classroom.
- The interactive boards can be used as a digital blackboard allowing the teacher to access any app, video or teacher-made lesson to instruct the class. Students can use this tool to present to the class.
- The teacher is able to access all apps found via the Chromebook to help support student learning.
For the district:
- Chromebooks are Green and cost-effective.
- Secure way to take the NJSLA